Thursday, January 2, 2014

Tutorial: Mega orange peel improv block

This year I have joined my first bee. I am the queen bee for January and have been looking and looking for which block I would like to do. Then I landed on it and made it work for me. Inspired by Quilting Modern's pod block, I am very excited to share my mega orange peel improv block! If you would like more information on sewing a simple curved seam, have a look at my previous tutorial here.
Fabric requirements and cutting instructions:
  • Peels - cut four 2 1/2 inch x 8 inch rectangles from different bright fabrics of your choice.
  • Background - cut eight 3 inch x 11 inch rectangles from four different solid whites or white tone on tone fabrics.
  • Triangle corners - cut four 7 inch squares from different monochrome fabrics. Cut the squares in half to create 8 HSTs (half square triangles). 

Step one: Overlap half of the peel rectangle onto the white background right sides up. Free hand slice a gentle curve with your rotary cutter. Discard the smaller scraps. Sew the peel and background together, easing the seams into each other (this part feels unnatural because it seems back to front. Trust me it will work!). Press seams towards the peel.

Step two: Repeat step one on the other side; overlap the straight edge of the peel onto the second background rectangle, slice a gentle curve, sew and press the seams towards the peel.

Step three: Trim this piece to 3 x 10 inches, leaving at least 3/4 inch clear around the peel.



Step four: Sew the matching HSTs on either side of the peel block and press the seams towards the triangle.

Step five: Trim your block to 6 1/2 inches square. Make sure you keep at least 1/2 inch clear around the peel ends (so they don't get lost in the seams).

Step six: Arrange your blocks to form a cross and sew the four blocks together to complete the mega orange peel improv block. Don't worry about matching all those triangles together, the mismatched seams are part of the charm.


Well, what do you think? I really love it! Can't wait to see them all. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help out :)

Crystal x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS